The Holidays are officially in full swing and I couldn’t be happier. It is a time to celebrate, give and enjoy. Here are 10 ways to indulge without the Holiday bulge this season:
- Workout first thing in the morning. Most likely evenings will now be taken up by Holiday mixers and celebrations. Get your workout in and out of the way. For an intense workout that can be done anywhere and takes no time, jump rope and throw some dumbbells & elastic bands into the mix.
- Fill up on lemon water. Lemon water will keep you hydrated, alkalized, and offers some great detoxing benefits. Also, you can opt for sparkling water over the alcoholic beverages offered.
- Eat veggies at every meal. This will keep you full and full of nutrients that will be critical for energy during this busy time.
- Fill up on tea. Tea has a number of benefits. Enjoy peppermint tea this time of year, not just for the festive kick but it actually aids in digestion. Also, if hot chocolate is your thing, try to make a cup using natural cacao, almond milk, maple syrup and cinnamon. The Detoxinista offers a delicious healthy hot chocolate option here.
- Walk on your work breaks. Chances are you are taking in more calories than usual. While I do not support the idea of working off what you ate because you can’t work off a bad diet, getting in a few extra steps or tacking on a little extra cardio during this time of year doesn’t hurt.
- Volunteer at local Holiday events. Not only is giving back part of the Christmas spirit & will have you on your feet moving it is good for the soul.
- Go for evening walks with family or friends after dinner to checkout the neighborhood Christmas lights.
- Fill up on healthy and quality proteins & fats. Proteins & fats that will help keep you full and going. Some great options are eggs, salmon, grilled chicken, lean beef & nuts.
- Be the one who makes the meals. Let’s be honest no one is going to be thrilled with a chalky stevia dessert. My suggestion here is not to whip up a zero sugar, gluten, fat, carbohydrates dessert but rather a modified one. Plus cooking or baking for a Holiday event, will get you up and moving in the kitchen.
- Enjoy the season, yes that is right enjoy. Stress, cortisol, and anxiety not only wreak havoc on the mind but also on the body! Also, make sure to get in 8 hours asleep. Repair and recovery are always key to good health.
Above all it isn’t what you do between Thanksgiving & Christmas but rather would you do between Christmas & Thanksgiving that counts!
Looking to give? Here are some great organizations to learn about this Holiday season!
St. Jude: St. Jude is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
The Teen Leadership Foundation: What would happen if every young adult that emancipated out of foster care had access to an immersive experience that equipped them with the life skills to become leaders in their community? Help this become a reality.
Fondation Enfant Jesus: Fondation Enfant Jesus (FEJ) is a non-denominational, non-profit organization based in Haiti that aims to break the cycle of poverty by promoting sustainable human development for impoverished children and their families through a robust full-life development program.
For our nutrition and workout programs checkout our shop HERE.